Thursday, March 1, 2018

Seeta Rees Ph.D. Reflects on the NACADA Region 2 Mentoring Program

The following post was written by Seeta Rees, Sr. Academic Advisor at Reading Area Community College and 2016 Region 2 Mentorship Program Mentee. For more information on the program and to apply to be a mentor or mentee, visit http://nacadaregion2.blogspot.com/2018/01/nacada-region-2-mentor-program-is-now.html.

Hello, my name is Seeta Rees and I am a Sr. Academic Advisor at Reading Area Community College in Reading PA. I work primarily with students who are on academic probation or who have academic alert status. This at risk population requires significant amount of guidance, teaching, advising, and support so as to promote development of skills and abilities necessary to be successful in higher education, as well as to make informed decisions regarding academic or career choices. I have been with NACADA since 2016 and have participated in several conferences. Recently I was awarded an Assessment Scholarship 2018. I was a mentee in the Mentor/Mentee program in 2016 and at the Region 2 Conference, I met my assigned mentor Ms. Barbara Griffin.

Barbara was an effective, knowledgeable mentor who was always ready to share her knowledge. We are from different cultures and much information was shared during our many conversations which included strategies to improve student success and retention. We laughed and worked together. We also formulated individual and team goals, one of which was attend the 2018 NACADA conference in Arizona.

When I learned I was accepted in this program, I was excited about embarking on a new adventure. I have gained deeper insights into advising procedures, retention, student services, and registration policies. I have also developed my leadership skills and abilities.

The Mentor program offers opportunities to cultivate a new friendship (as I did), step out of a comfort zone, and to have meaningful interaction from a colleague in the same field. It is a chance to explore different perspectives, develop skills, expand knowledge, and to even make a new friend.

I believe this program offers benefits to both parties. This experience can be enhanced when mentor  and mentee develop a plan together, compose SMART goals, work as a team, learn from each other, be flexible, and have fun.

~ Seeta Rees, Ph.D.


If you'd like to participate in the 2018 mentoring program, please click on one of the following links to submit your application today. Applications must be received by March 9, 2018. Applicants selected for the program will be notified via email March 16, 2018. As part of being selected to participate in the Mentor Program you must attend the 2018 Region 2 Conference, March 21-23.

Mentor Application

Mentee Application


1 comment: